Tech Forum : Header heat..

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Header heat..
MayanArch   Posted Wednesday, May 21st 9:00pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1560

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
OK, so the Baur is finally running somewhat stable. I have to go back to get the GoTech engine management stabelized using a Dyno.

The engine puts out a lot of heat. You can practically feel the headers comming through the firewall.

Considering that I am in Miami........more radient heat is unwelcome. I dont want to wrap the ceramic coated headers and destroy their shinny chrome look.

Any suggestions?

KenDanielson   Posted Friday, May 23rd 2:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
Ceramic coated headers should not radiate much heat at all compared to bare headers. Get your engine management tuned correctly and I would bet the temps drop significantly.

ken

g323   Posted Saturday, May 24th 7:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 272

California
323i 1982
Agree with Ken, All my overheating problems disapeared with a correctly tuned ignition distributor(new)

MayanArch   Posted Saturday, May 24th 2:35pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1562

Florida, USA
Hmmm....maybe I am just starting to feel the effects of an all black leather interior in the Miami summer.

The engine isnt running hot. It runs closer to that second mark than the half mark.

I am just feeling a lot of radient heat comming from the firewall........past the sound insulation and carpeting.

One wierd thing about the engine tunning is that it seems to run smoother on regular gas than on Supreme.

g323   Posted Saturday, May 24th 5:57pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 273

California
323i 1982
too rich?...did you check to see if your heater valve is closing all the way? I had the cable disconect and a couple of consequently hot summer days,,,

MayanArch   Posted Saturday, May 24th 8:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1563

Florida, USA
g323 wrote:
too rich?...did you check to see if your heater valve is closing all the way? I had the cable disconect and a couple of consequently hot summer days,,,

Yes, it is definetly too rich. I gotta get them to put it on the dyno soon. You can smell the gas at a stop light.

You mean on the AC venting system???? Yes, all this is out of whack and I have unlocked the cable for the very lower one (goes left and right) and shut it......however, I do feel a warm draft still.

Does anyone have a diagram of how these go? The REALOEM drawings dont change so.

However, I dont think this is the whole story...there is radient heat comming off the panels not just a warm draft.

On the lighter side.............HOLY SHEITE it is hot out in Miami today!!!

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.