-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : AC issues!! Miami summer!! HELP!!

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - AC issues!! Miami summer!! HELP!!
MayanArch   Posted Friday, May 30th 4:43pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1567

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
OK, the mechanics are working....but I have run into two electrical snags:

1.) It seems that I restored the car with a non-AC harness....so there is no Aux Fan plug going to the condensor fan. Does this fan need to run at all times, or only when the AC is on? I am asking because I am thinking of splicing in wires to the AC switch so it turns on when the compressor clutch engages. OR, should I just splice it into a 12v that turns on/off with the ignition so it is is always on reguardless of AC use?

2.) My AC switch/knob in the console is bad. It has three wires: Green/Red: always on - Black/White: on when switch - Black: temperature engaged.

It seems that the top (All Black wire) lead is controlled by a small lever that pushes a copper strip up to make contact with another copper strip to feed power to the black wire....which in turn goes to the compressor clutch. That little mechanism isnt working. It has a very small eyeglass size adjustment screw....but no amount of adjustment works. Also, I figure if it is a temperature control....it should be going on immidiatly in Miami ambient temps, right. It is not.

Furthermore, that little lever does nothing no matter where the knob is turned to. It should be bypassing the temp control and engaging the compressor clutch permanently. It isnt moving...so I figure I have a bad switch.

I am in Miami....so there are only 4 days out of the year when you need temp control out of your AC. The rest of the year it is full on.

Can I bypass the temp switch without causing damage to the compressor?

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.