BMW E21
 
Navigation
 -Home
 -Search
 -News
 -Portal

Site Account
 -Login
 -Register
 -Online Users


Forums
 -General Forum
 -Tech Forum
 -News Archives
 -Cars

Files
 -Overview

E21
 -About
 -Parts
 -Funstuff
 -Classifieds
 -Links
 -Projects

Features
 -Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails


Tech Forum : Diff punishment.

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Diff punishment.
  Posted Thursday, Jun 5th 5:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 75


Hi Guys, this question has probably been thrown up a few times in the past.

would anyone know how much power an open 3.45:1 diff take before it gives up?

will greatly appreciate your feedback

thanks

  Posted Thursday, Jun 12th 5:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 235


I have sure hammered mine with the stock engine.
But I have been running a 3.91 LSD with the stroker and am putting 197H.P. to the wheels, Has not blown up, but there is no spinning wheels till the clutch is engaged anymore.

I have found that these diffs. will last a little better with LSD in that the side gears are a weak point and with LSD they don't spin so wildly and come apart, then go though the ring and pinion.
Jeff

  Posted Saturday, Jun 14th 2:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 1573


JDBeyer wrote:
I have sure hammered mine with the stock engine.
But I have been running a 3.91 LSD with the stroker and am putting 197H.P. to the wheels, Has not blown up, but there is no spinning wheels till the clutch is engaged anymore.

I have found that these diffs. will last a little better with LSD in that the side gears are a weak point and with LSD they don't spin so wildly and come apart, then go though the ring and pinion.
Jeff


JD,

How did you determine this? Did you dyno your car? What is in it. I am dying to find out what I am pushing.

What goodies did you do to your engine, aside from the 2.7L stroker?

have you measured 0-60 times yet? I have a 3.91 with my stroker as well, and would love to get accurate times on 0-60 and other times.

  Posted Saturday, Jun 14th 5:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 236


Veiw my car,it is all there except:
Extrude honed intake, High presure water/alcohol injection. different brakes and wheels.
And I did run it on a chassis dyno.
To get those H.P. readings with kjet injection I was running way to rich, so megasquirt will be going on this car next.

Jeff

  Posted Saturday, Jun 14th 9:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 1577


But I have heard that the 2.7 gets you up to 195 or 200 hp. How can a 3.0 get you to the same place?

Did you free up the exhaust side at all, or just the intake?

A stock 325i was 189 hp according to BMW. You should be able to achieve more than that with a free flowing system (input and output) , megasquirt, and a 3.0 block.

  Posted Saturday, Jun 14th 10:32pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 672


I think much of the discrepancy may be HP output at the wheels vs crank. His readings are 197 at the wheel, meaning something like 226-236 crank (assuming 15-20% drivetrain loss). Also, we don't know his torque numbers, either... I'll bet he has some good gains over stock there as well.

  Posted Saturday, Jun 14th 11:42pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 1579


wow....that much. What is this due to? flex of the tires and drive shaft?

  Posted Sunday, Jun 15th 11:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 673


Good question! Wish I could answer that

I just know it happens, but that estimate I gave is pretty hypothetical b/c the % loss is different for every car.

I did find this website but I haven't read through it. Even if I did, I wouldn't be qualified to verify its efficacy, validity, or reliability.

http://www.superstang.com/horsepower.htm

  Posted Monday, Jun 16th 3:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 76


Reason why i ask this, is I'm performing an engine transplant and shoe horning a LS400 v8. With the current ratio 3.45:1, i really don't want to change anything on the final drive.

  Posted Monday, Jun 16th 3:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 77


I forgot to mention i only have at the moment the 3.45:1 open diff not the LSD

  Posted Monday, Jun 16th 6:22am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 62


if you're putting in a V8 maybe should try converting to an e12 diff like I saw here http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4788

BTW, the e36 325i (24 valve M50 engine) is rated 189hp. The e30 325i is 168-171hp stock. So 195hp at the crank even would be pretty good for a 2.7 M20.

  Posted Monday, Jun 16th 2:16pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 78


would any one know the different diff ratio that were fitted to the 5ser models just to get a fair idea. i thinking any ratio near 3.45 or lower would be ideal for me.

  Posted Monday, Jun 16th 3:05pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 1580


The BMW 3-Series book by Jeremy Walton lists:

E21 323i - 143bhp @ 6,000 rpm

E30 325i - 171bhp @ 5,800 rpm

Alpina C2 2.7 - 210 hp @ 5,800rpm

The C2 was naturally aspirated, right?

I also remember Ray posting an article on strokers that said you could get to 200 hp by doing the 2.7 conversion.....but I cant find that article now.

  Posted Monday, Jun 16th 3:28pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 1581


2,623lbs to 198hp is 13.24 pph

  Posted Tuesday, Jun 17th 1:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 63


looks like any e12 528i should have a 3.45:1, 525s have a 3.64:1, and an M535i or other model with the optional close-ratio tranny would have 3.07:1

I think the 2.7 strokers that are just a mix-and-match of stock BMW parts probably won't see 200hp, but it's definitely possible with aftermarket or custom performance parts. I would consider anything with a higher hp/liter and torque/liter compared to a stock 2.5 to be a pretty good setup.

  Posted Tuesday, Jun 24th 10:44am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 79


I'll start modifying the rear subframe to fit a e12 diff and let you all know how it goes with some pics thanks guys for all your help

  Posted Tuesday, Jul 1st 9:50am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 135


i snaped the spider gear housing with my stock 323i with 3.45 ratio diff.

so yeh your better off getting something stronger


Thread Administration
 

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.