- General Forum
      - Buying a 323i Baur
Tricord   Posted Saturday, Jun 7th 5:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1015

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Hi all,

It's been a while I've started working now (I have two jobs) and am finding myself trading in time for money. Which is why I would like to buy something nice, I'm looking for a Baur 323i in good condition.

I went to have a look at this one first:

Unfortunately, the car was in a sorry state. No interior, 300K on the engine, and the owner did such a horrific paint job ("yes, Ferrari blue, very nice, no, I didn't take the windows out before painting") -- sigh. Add a 4333 dollar price to that and I knew it wasn't for me.

Now, tomorrow I'm going to the Netherlands to check out a supposedly 100% original 323i Baur in good shape. It has light alloy rims, 5-speed gearbox, power steering, sport steering wheel and a Recaro interior. Wow! Sounds like a super car! At 10.250 dollars, it better be

However, if it's what I want, I'm happy to lay down the cash. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! Stay tuned

BruceH   Posted Sunday, Jun 8th 5:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1174

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
For $10k you can buy mine and have it shipped there.

Tricord   Posted Monday, Jun 9th 10:48am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1016

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Hehe.. Too late, I bought it
I'm going to pick it up next weekend.

It was really in a nice condition, so I couldn't resist!

MayanArch   Posted Monday, Jun 9th 3:43pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1570

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
Bruce is right....but only for so long. Now that I have been driving my Baur around I see that these cars are more appreciated than they used to be. I think their time has come. E21s are near or past the 25 yr standard for "classics".

I have had offers in parking lots near that $10k and more than my share of oohs and ahhs.

Bruce is right that these cars sell for $5k and less on eBay.

$10k is a lot of money........especially with the sorry state of the currency.

Tri.....are you sure its not 10k Euro or Brit. Lbs.????

Tricord   Posted Monday, Jun 9th 7:28pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1017

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
I paid €6k5 which is over $10k.

But I'm happy! It's a car you won't find in a 100 years if you're looking for it. I just stumbled upon it so I couldn't just let it go

MayanArch   Posted Tuesday, Jun 10th 1:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1571

Florida, USA
If it has no rust and a good paint job...thats worth some money as it would take you $3k to $5k to get that done right.

Overall, if the car is in good shape......I think they are worth that. I think the market is about 2 to 3 years from realizing what an E21 is really worth.

2002s carry that price......but the people who grew up with the E21 are just starting to become nostalgic about it.

I think the fact that the E30 stuck around for so long....and looked relatively similar to the E21 helped postpone the "classic" status of the E21.

Now even E30s are starting to become rare on the road and E36s are starting to look dated and old...........which helps make our cars feel like true classics.

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Jun 10th 12:05pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 670

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Hey.. whatever makes you happy without making you homeless (or wifeless) is good in my book. Congrats (on bothe the car and personal success), and THANK YOU as I anticipate more eye candy for future resto' pictures to come.

Seeing ANY euro e21 is a treat for me, and a baur 323i is among the sweetest of them all. (I think only something like a true Alpina or Hartge production vehicle can top that.)

Tricord   Posted Tuesday, Jun 17th 9:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1019

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Guys, it's great! I'm absolutely happy with this car. Granted, it's not new, but it's pretty mint for it's age. The softtop plastic window isn't even opaque yet!

When I went to fetch the car last sunday, I was in for a 320km drive of roofless bliss. Pretty cool!

I'm going to settle the paperwork in the course of the week and hopefully get license plates soon. Then it'll be my sunday driver for sure!

I might have to get rid of the 320/6 to make room for the Baur. Honestly, when I have the choice to take either one out, I will always pick the 323i Baur over the 320/6...

I do feel a bit guilty as it's my mother's car since 1980 and it is in fact still first owner. But the only value that's left on the 320/6 is sentimental I'm afraid...

So, where's the Baur crowd hanging out these days -- happy to join in now that I have one

MayanArch   Posted Wednesday, Jun 18th 12:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1582

Florida, USA
Here...........with you. although a car meet between us may be difficult.....or costly. ALthough I do want to go back to Bastogne someday....

Actually, I got a couple of Baur domains and wanted to make a website if you wanted. Maybe we can tie it in to Tricord somehow.

baurbmw.com
bmwbaur.com
bmw-baur.com
baurtc.com
baur-tc.com

BruceH   Posted Wednesday, Jun 18th 4:58am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1175

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Most of the Baur crowd is on BimmerForums e21. Even Jeroen is there.

wharthog   Posted Tuesday, Jul 8th 5:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 131

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
Hey Tri! Congrats on a great find... I've found my eye drifting toward an E30 ///M3 lately. Finding a nice example isn't easy.

JJG323   Posted Tuesday, Jul 8th 5:55am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1354

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Congrads,

Out of school and in the workforce with a Baur?
Life is good eh?

Jerome has a website and guys are on the bimmerforums e21 section.

I love all e21s and Baurs are cool.
I would never part with my 323i, its been threw too much with me. But e21s and even e30s are approaching collectible status.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.