|
Posted
Sunday, Aug 10th 4:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car] |
Post nr. 1594
|
A freeze plug popped off while at a stop sign. The car ran 10 feet as I got it to the curb, but then would not start. It turns over, but doesnt start.
Cant see a mechanic until Monday. I am worried I damaged the engine. Although it didnt overheat, and I didnt run it more than 10 feet.
What are the chances I hurt the engine?
I found the freeze plug laying on the headers after all the smoke cleared. |
 |
|
|
Posted
Sunday, Aug 10th 3:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car] |
Post nr. 1359
|
Is this on the new 2.7 m20 engine? If it heated up, there could be damage. But you may get lucky. |
 |
|
|
Posted
Sunday, Aug 10th 3:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car] |
Post nr. 1595
|
I dont think it heated up as it was running fine and cool up until I came to a stop. Then there was a lot of smoke/steam. I started it again, and moved 10 to 15 feet to the curb.....but then it would not start again.
It seems like it all happened as I came to a stop.......and didnt run this way for more than 15 to 30 seconds.
Yes, it is the new engine.....and I am on pins and needles . |
 |
|
|
Posted
Monday, Aug 11th 6:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car] |
Post nr. 1360
|
I think you are gonna be ok. |
 |
|
|
Posted
Monday, Aug 11th 8:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car] |
Post nr. 295
|
I second that. i think youll be fine, 10 feet isnt enough time to do much damage. unless im wrong and the freeze plug holds in oil, i think you will be alright. i once drove an 82 rabbit for a half hour without a radiator, i put a new radiator in it and drove it 700 miles, and then 2 more years without problems (a very long time ago) |
 |
|
|
Posted
Sunday, Aug 17th 2:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car] |
Post nr. 1022
|
My guess is it won't be a problem. I think your coolant leak spilt over the distributor, which is why it didn't start afterwards. |
 |
|
|
Posted
Monday, Aug 18th 10:07pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car] |
Post nr. 1597
|
My distributor is up front as it was part of the Motronic conversion........which I didnt end up using...but the plug wires go to the front of the engine now. Water could have gone in....but it would have been harder.
its up and running...but sputtery. There was a lot of coolant in one of the spark plug cubbies. Could a spark plug short out that way?
|
 |
|
|
Posted
Tuesday, Aug 19th 4:44am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car] |
Post nr. 1361
|
Yep, odds are you are going to be fine. |
 |
|