Tech Forum : BAUR feeling seet!!!!

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - BAUR feeling seet!!!!
MayanArch   Posted Sunday, Sep 21st 11:31pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1600

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
OK, after a rough start....my car is now feeling sweet. Just like the dream machine I always thought it could be. Hold ups after start up were: oversize crankshaft bearings, rust in tank that spoiled injection system and made it impossible to tweak, broken fan bearing that made the engine off balance, freeze plug blew off.

However, it is now running nice. I just need to get the AC going consistently.

It is powerful everywhere. I havent pushed it super hard yet, but I am yet to feel it lean out....which was the compromise I thought I had made by leaving the small valve E21 head in there.

There is torque all over the power curve. That 2.7 and the BavAuto headers are really nice. I also believe that coupling the 325i intake plenum and gasket matching the in and out ports made a lot of difference. The head has all the air it wants to take, and doesnt take a long time to build up power.

The custom exhaust that is straight pipe all the way back to Dynomax mufflers sounds sooooo nice once you hit the gas.

It feels like a three series now. It can leave my brother's 2006 325i behind easily....and then some.

I am yet to put it on the dyno to finish tuning the GoTech engine managment system, and I believe I can get an extra 15HP out of it when I do.

My goal is 200HP with the body under 2400lbs. That would put it up there with a lot of cars.

My only regret is the suspension. It could use some stiffening on corners. However, it is already very hard on bumps and pot holes.....VERY rough on rough roads.

I am considering putting in those 'extra' sway bars that I saw mentioned here.........and maybe downgrade the Bilsteines to something softer....but I dont know yet.

It feels and sounds so sweet!!!! For those of you that like a well tuned small six E21......this thing is practically orgasmic.

wayfast   Posted Monday, Sep 22nd 6:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 24

Belleville, Michigan
81 323i
sounds very nice. i'm jealous

can't wait to get my 323i back on the road

JJG323   Posted Tuesday, Sep 23rd 2:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1364

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Post videos please

g323   Posted Wednesday, Sep 24th 5:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 298

California
323i 1982
congrats man sounds great.

As to the suspension, since you don't have a roof i would add everything you can. The lower alpina bar is GREAT for bringing the car together, i have the lower bar, the front and rear strut bars and my car does very well. I have stock springs - bilstein heavy duties in front and boge normals in the back s - I want to stiffen it up more, but definitely the car feels "together" with the bars. - I recommend them.

MayanArch   Posted Saturday, Sep 27th 4:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1601

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
g323 wrote:
congrats man sounds great.

As to the suspension, since you don't have a roof i would add everything you can. The lower alpina bar is GREAT for bringing the car together, i have the lower bar, the front and rear strut bars and my car does very well. I have stock springs - bilstein heavy duties in front and boge normals in the back s - I want to stiffen it up more, but definitely the car feels "together" with the bars. - I recommend them.

It doesnt feel all together, but the Baur does a good job. Its not like a convertible without any roof at all.

My biggest complain is excess sway coupled with a very agressive and torqy engine. It sways on corners and offramps.

I have been thinking about that lower Alpina for a while.....and will probably get it.

Where can I get those add on sway bars?

g323   Posted Thursday, Oct 9th 1:36am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 303

California
323i 1982
Mayan! sorry to get this to you so late but hurry and follow this link to ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-BMW-E21-Front-Sway-Bar_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem290264864128QQitemZ290264864128#ht_500wt_0

melloh   Posted Saturday, Nov 1st 8:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 677

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Yeah yeah yeah... rub it in, buddy.......

melloh   Posted Saturday, Nov 1st 8:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 678

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Oh. If you're talking about the replica Alpina bars that attach to the front underside of the valence, ken d recently made those (and might still either have some in stock or be able to make more?). You can find him here or catch him on the other forums, too (Bimmerforums). I forgot the price, but I believe it was under $100 (before economy went to sh!t)?

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.