General Forum : M20 engine type from E 30 - identification

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - M20 engine type from E 30 - identification
Yety   Posted Wednesday, Oct 29th 8:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 165

Europe, Romania
320i/6
Are these engines identified "20 6K A" or something like this ? 'Cause I've found an ex-315 for sale that has now a 6-cylinder engine with injection and the reference in car's papers to the type of the engine says also that is develops 129 HP.

Any enlightments, please ? The owner asks for 900 Euro, which is ~1200 USD. I might be able to gather that amount in order to buy it...

Madhatter   Posted Wednesday, Nov 5th 1:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 258

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
129hp, 2L m20. If it was from an E30 it would have more power, so im wondering if it is an E21 motor. Easy way to tell is what head is on the motor. It is has a 200 (e21) head, its not an e30 motor.

See if you can see the cast number on the inlet side of the head, about the middle, above the ports.

Yety   Posted Thursday, Nov 6th 3:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 166

Europe, Romania
320i/6
I'll be able to tell what type of head it has only next week, as I decided to buy the car tomorrow ...until then, here are some pics of the engine :

Is this of any help ? I still believe/suppose it's a 1.1 or 1.3 Motronic...

TJ   Posted Friday, Nov 7th 3:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 69

NY, USA
82 528e2i 84 320i/4 80 320i
Yeah it definitely looks like the newer Motronic. Must be from an e30 320i (or 520i?).

Yety   Posted Monday, Nov 10th 9:58am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 167

Europe, Romania
320i/6
I paid the owner the sum we agreed for car on Friday and now the "dizaster" is already in my garage, at home. I didn't get to check the head casting number or the ECU version. Nevertheless, I saw something that looks like a lambda sensor somewhere on the exhaust. More details later this week... ...I really need to identify the type of the engine and management, in order to start gathering information about it... ...as I plan to service the car myself...

Yety   Posted Wednesday, Nov 12th 10:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 168

Europe, Romania
320i/6
Wikipedia says : "In 1987, the E30 was revised. The revision contained two significant changes in the engine department. First, the M20 straight-6 engines changed from Bosch Jetronic to Bosch Motronic. This boosted the 320i to 95 kW (127 hp) [...]". I checked again the papers of the car and they say that it has 95 kW.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.