- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Daughter Crashed
Ladd   Posted Tuesday, Dec 22nd 11:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 61

OR - USA
1981 320i E10
Hey guys,

My daughter rear-ended another car...not a ton of damage, but cannot get the hood (bonnet?) to open.

Any good ideas on how to get it opened so we can check things out under the hood?

If it helps, the back bumper of the other car pushed the center of the grill back. I think this dropped the top a bit and raised the bottom a bit. The hood looks like it may have a slight down-turn right near the front.

Thanks All,
Ladd

sunbeam***   Posted Wednesday, Dec 23rd 1:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 331

wirral UK
1982 323i
I am not going to give a precision engineers reply but i will give a suggestion that will work.
Remove all grilles to asess the damage, you will probably find the front top member has pushed back. attatch a rope around top member which houses the hood/bonnet hinge, then secure other end of rope around a solid fixed object.
Get in your bm and start slowly pulling the front end back out by reversing away from fixed object. Keep trying the hood pull catch as you go and you will get the hood/bonnet to open.
Keep us updated.

Ladd   Posted Thursday, Dec 24th 6:22am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 62

OR - USA
1981 320i E10
Thanks for that great suggestion. I am usually fairly clever, but I didn't come up with anything like that. I will give it a try soon (but maybe after Christmas) and post my results.

Thanks again,
Ladd

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.