Tech Forum : Nic

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Nic
Matt   Posted Saturday, Jun 21st 10:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 42

SF Bay Area
81 320i
Hey care to lay out the stats on the m42?

Tricord   Posted Saturday, Jun 21st 3:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 70

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Yes it would be interesting to know the exact specs of your engine, Nic.
If I remember correctly, you don't mention the displacement, torque or power output that the M42 should put out.

M42powered   Posted Sunday, Jun 22nd 6:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 49

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
Alrighty... From the "3 series companion"

1.8 liter
84 mm bore 81 mm stroke
CR = 10.0:1
HP = 134hp @ 6000rpm
TQ = 127 ft-lb @4600rpm
Bosch Motronic 1.7

The Dinan chip claims 150 hp, and 138 Ft-lb. With the exhaust it's anyones guess. I really am not all that interested in HP numbers that are claimed. I'd rather find a good chassis dyno somewhere and give you guys some hard numbers.

Any suggestions on what's next? Cams? or do I start saving up for the turbo and do the SDS engine management system?

chad   Posted Sunday, Jun 22nd 11:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 17

saskatchewan, canada
79 320i, 82 320i
i'm partial to turbo.......but maybe that's because i've had a garrett t3 sitting in my room staring at me for about 6 months now begging to be put on. i think paul is making me a copy of his manifold though so hopefully my dream will come true soon.

Tricord   Posted Sunday, Jun 22nd 1:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 72

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
If you plan to go turbo down the road, there's no point in doing cams now since turbo setups work well with stock cams.

I'd say save up some money and turbocharge it later

jbob   Posted Sunday, Jun 22nd 1:53pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 8

AZ, USA
81 320i
turbo! i mean, i'm gonna need someone to try & keep up w/ my car lol j/k.

hey if they do that dyno day at dynocomp, would u want to go? i think i may go, to get some before numbers

Matt   Posted Sunday, Jun 22nd 11:44pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 49

SF Bay Area
81 320i

What T3 are you gonna use? Are you gonna do anything to the motor at the same time? EFI?

M42powered   Posted Monday, Jun 23rd 12:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 53

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
Well, the M42 doesn't have rockers so I don't really need the rock locks. The valvetrain is identical to an S14, but hydraulic. I also will not be changing the compression. with 10:1 pistons and SDS I can run 10 lbs no problem. Paul and I have been talking for quite sometime, but I just don't have the money to really invest in it. So I lay low until I can afford the SDS system. And the most likely turbo is a t3/t04 hybrid of some sort. Atleast the compressor maps seem to match the engine the best so far. I'm still hunting.

Matt   Posted Monday, Jun 23rd 12:39am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 53

SF Bay Area
81 320i
LOL, spending too much time looking at my setup!

M42powered   Posted Monday, Jun 23rd 8:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 56

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
I'm under the impression that you get out what you put in. I'm just not the type of guy to only go half in. I go all the way or not at all. If turbocharging is what I'm going to do, I'm going to really DO IT. I know you can trick ECU's and stuff to run turbocharged but I'd rather have full control over what goes on in the fuel and ignition portion of my motor. With the right tuning and proper setup I'd be (using Pauls words) Pissed if I didn't see 300+ HP. So I'd have M30 type power without the added weight. I know the really low end grunt wouldn't be there, but that is missing right now anyway. The M42 likes to rev and doesn't really wake up until 4000 rpm anyway. Anyway, it's really not worth further discussion because the turbo setup is WAY down the road. I have to get these MIM's refinished and locked in. Then put slicks on my other set of Exims. Plus I have a brand new suspension to dial in. I have enough trinkits and toys to play with for a while. When I start feeling stir crazy I'll try and get an SDS system.

Matt   Posted Monday, Jun 23rd 11:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 56

SF Bay Area
81 320i
I'm
not expecting too much for my money. I'll only be running 6psi to the TB with an intercooler.

chad   Posted Tuesday, Jun 24th 12:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 18

saskatchewan, canada
79 320i, 82 320i
hey matt, what are you doing manifold-wise?

M42powered   Posted Tuesday, Jun 24th 1:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 57

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
yeah I want pictures... Other than one that has been altered in Microsoft Paint. You talk about all this stuff (BBS front spoiler, zender rear, dinan springs). But the only picture of your car is one you defiled with microsoft paint. What gives? I realize that it was a joke, but we would all be more interested in seeing your car rather than what it would look like if some preschooler got a hold of it and a box of 69 color crayolas.

RDAvena   Posted Tuesday, Jun 24th 1:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 51

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
1981 323i, 1988 545is, 1997 528i
Chad,

BMW 4 Cylinder (320 & 2002) CAR-20079 $585.00

from cartech.

Just above the one I am looking at:

BMW 6 Cylinder 2.5L 1980's Manifold CAR-09002 $695.00

Might go well with the Syclone H2O/Airintercooler once the 545is outgrows it power wise(only rated to 375hp, the intercooler that is).

Buy the best, cry once.

Matt   Posted Tuesday, Jun 24th 2:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 57

SF Bay Area
81 320i
I can bring the exh. manifold down there with a adaptor plate. I'll just have them seal off the outlet and cut in and weld on the adaptor plate. If that won't work out b/c the manifold is iron, I'll see if they can just cut out the hole and tap the manifold to bolt the compressor right up to it.

If all that won't work out, I should be able to get a brick turbo manifold from a e30 318 and bolt that on.

The compressor will probly be a t04e '40'. If it needs it I'll put a re-build on it ($50). That should run me about $200. I will use silicone clamps only for the turbo in/out and Fuel Dist. in.

I have plans for water/alcohol injection ($100) as well as an additional lambda injector if I need some extra fuel. I will monitor the A/F ratio and EGT to make sure I don't run lean once it hops to 6psi. I will go a heat range lower for the champion plugs and back the timing off a little. If I start to detonate, in goes the water injection and intercooler If I start goin lean again when incresing the boost, in goes the Audi WUR and FP guage ($50) I will just keep toying with it and go to whatever boost it can handle without stressing it too much.

-Is their an advantage to using alcohol vs. a 5th gas injector to add additional fuel besides the ability to add water with the alcohol mix?
-Difference between pre/post compressor water injection injection? Intercooler pre/post difference?

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.