Tech Forum : OHphfff! Distributor Timing

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - OHphfff! Distributor Timing
marinersfan   Posted Saturday, May 8th 1:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
Well, after just putting in the rebuilt starter I had to replace because I shorted out the solenoid(different post), I now need to get back to working on getting the timing adjusted so it will at least start up. The Good: New points, plugs, wires, cap, rotor & coil. The Bad: I left the distributor untightened and when I went to make sure the cap was securely seated the distributor turned considerably. Now it won't start. Cranks fine and I'm sure there's spark. Can I just have someone turn the engine over while I rotate the distributor until it starts? Is there a better way? I have a dwell meter but I don't think that will help until it's started. I did make sure the points are set at a snug .016. I had it started before I shorted the solenoid so I know everything else is ok. Once I get it started I can fine tune with the dwell meter and timing light. Just to make sure we're on the same page remember it's a '78 320is and therefore don't have electronic ignition...Thanks Guys!

redmist   Posted Saturday, May 8th 4:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 259

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
I always go with the static timing of TDC with the rotor pointing to the #1 cylinder spark plug wire. Crank the motor while slowly turning the distributor from the #1 cylinder wire to the previous cylinder in the firing order advancing the timing.
You can also hook up a timing light and adjust the timing while cranking.

Atle   Posted Saturday, May 8th 10:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 28

Norway
Bmw 320/6 82 Bmw 323i 79, Bmw 323i 82 Bmw e30 320i cab 88
Set the engine at ignition tdc for piston 1. Take of the the distributor cap. Align the distributor to rotor marks. Put on your distibutor cap. Start your engine.
Have the engine at normal operation temerature.
Stop the engine.
Disconnect the distributor vacuum lines.
Hook op a timing light. There should be an advance (BTDC) mark on your vibration damper. (Is is marked as an Z)
Start your engine. Point the lamp at the vibration damper. The z mark should align with the one in front of the engine cover at 1500 rpm
If not rotate the distributor until the marks align

Your dynamic timing is 22 degrees BTDC at 1500 rpm

Greg320i   Posted Saturday, May 8th 10:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

Maryland, USA
Baxter: 1983 320i
Stupid question maybe- how do I align the motor at TDC?

marinersfan   Posted Sunday, May 9th 3:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 24

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
Hey Red, what's the procedure for setting the timing while you're cranking???? I thought that was just for fine tuning the timing after it's running. I got the wife out there to crank whilst I checked a few things:
1)There IS spark. (I used a spare plug in the plug wire and held close to ground.
2)Pulled Cold-Start Valve and it DOES spray so fuel must not be an issue.
The turnover rate is smooth and without hesitation unless I turn the diistributor too far either way while cranking and then it does backfire. It just won't fire up!
I did notice something weird and that is I do see a slight bit of seepage coming from where the aux air valve bolts to the valve cover whenever I crank the motor. Never noticed that before and I'm sure that's nothing to do with it not firing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just so you know there are brand new points, plugs, cap, wires, rotor and coil. Hoses are all new as is the air bellows. Help!!!

Atle   Posted Sunday, May 9th 10:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 29

Norway
Bmw 320/6 82 Bmw 323i 79, Bmw 323i 82 Bmw e30 320i cab 88
To "Greg320i".

Finding tdc:

Remove spark plug nr 1. With a finger placed over the spark plug hole, turn the engine in a clockwise direction until pressure is felt, indicating that no 1 piston is on its compression stroke. Continue turning the engine until the notch in the crankshaft belt pulley aligns with the pointer in the engine timing cover.

marinersfan   Posted Sunday, May 9th 11:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 25

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
Ok, educate me here for just a sec. If the distributor was only rotated and not removed why would TDC be an element of concern? And IF that was a concern wouldn't rotating the distributor whilst cranking eventually find the "sweet spot" and fire up? Another question. Since I did pull the cold-start valve and it sprayed nicely whilst cranking isn't is safe to presume that fuel delievery is not a problem? I would think that IF there were a fuel delivery issue that it would be with one or more of the injectors. Like I said I had it started a week ago. Unfortunately in our older cars the injectors are buried completly under the intake ports and entirely inaccessible without removing them.....big bummer....unless someone knows another way. I've NEVER messed with them before...do they just pull out??? Anywho, after more tinkering and rechecking the point gap a dozen times I still cannot get her to fire! Yep there's spark. I also ask again. How do you use a timing light to help set the distributor on an on a engine that isn't already running....(excuse my ignorance here)...Got one more day to get this daily-runner going before I go back to work from a work-related injury. I'll be checking back frequently throughout the day....Thanks!!

athorp   Posted Monday, May 10th 5:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 22

MN, USA
1979 323i, 1990 325i, 2002 540i
marinersfan,

I'm no expert but I may have had a similar experience that will help you. Somehow in the process of changing my timing belt the rotor got turned wrong in the distributor (I have no idea how) so that the rotor was pointed to the #2 spark plug wire with the engine at TDC. Mine is a 323i so it is 6 cylinder with firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4.

I assembled the cap and wires the way they were before the timing belt change and it wouldn't start. Finally, out of desperation, I simply hooked the park plug wires up with the #1 wire in the #2 slot on the cap and then put the rest of them in proper sequence around the cap. It started and runs pretty well but may need to have the timing tweaked.

I have no idea how this happened and I'm not sure that what I did is smart but it seems to work.

marinersfan   Posted Monday, May 10th 8:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 26

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
Thanks Athorp, I'll give that a look-see. Where in MN are you? I'm in Richfield...

marinersfan   Posted Tuesday, May 11th 2:24am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 27

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
OK, I'm an idiot...I couldn't see the forest for the trees. The diagram in the haynes manual for the spark plug wire configuration could go either way in reference to where the vacuum advance was located and the #2 wire needed to go. I rotated the wires counter-clockwise one position each and she fired right up. It was dark so I need to get the timing light out and time it but she sure ran rough and seemed to search alot for the right idle without much success. 1000RPM was pretty shakey which is not normal. She'd search up to about 1900RPM back and forth and if I pressed the accelerator she'd smooth out at around 2200 or so but it was hard to keep it there. I'm hoping it's just fine tuning the timing from here. I may as well hook up the dwell meter too to assist even though I'm positive I have the points set ok. Yeah right! Just like I was sure the wires were configured correctly too! Will keep ya'll posted.
Thanks!

g323   Posted Wednesday, Mar 21st 9:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 103

California
323i 1982
basic question, how do you turn the engine?

jrcook320   Posted Thursday, Mar 22nd 3:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
Either put a socket on the crank pully and use a breaker bar, or put the car in 5th gear and push it. Both will be easier if you take the plugs out.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.