Tech Forum : Speaker ground wires

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Speaker ground wires
Greg323i   Posted Friday, Jul 4th 7:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 4

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
Does anyone know where the front and rear speaker grounds join up? I'm trying to separate them for better speaker separation without having to run new wire. I've tried following it back but haven't had any luck.

chad   Posted Friday, Jul 4th 11:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 30

saskatchewan, canada
79 320i, 82 320i
i dont know for sure if it is the ground for the speakers, but i remember seeing a bunch of ground wires on one panel (for lack of a better word) when i had the big cover off under the dash under the steering wheel. it was kind of up under the dash in the back corner close to the firewall on the very left.

hope this helps,

chad

Greg323i   Posted Saturday, Jul 5th 3:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 5

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
That's the main electrical grounding point, but I don't think it has anything to do with the speaker grounds. I haven't really checked it but I think that the speaker grounds are independent of the chassis ground.

Dorzas323i   Posted Saturday, Jul 5th 2:44pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

Victoria, Australia
euro 1982 323i
hey greg, doran here with the "fellow" 323i, hows it going? yeah about your boggle, speakers don't ground out. the wires from the speakers should run right through straight back into the head unit. this is because the way that speakers work is the the positive and negitive wires are not actually polarized +/-. they are just coloured so that you know which wire goes where on the speakers, so that they move at the same direction when on. the power going to the speakers actually switches back and forth between the two wires hundreds of times a second to move the speaker back and forth, so i htink if you follow the wire back they should go straight into the head unit (maybe passing through a fadder or balance on the way). well hope that helps, unless i miss understood the question, a,d you should just call me a dickhead, ;o, good luck -Doran

Greg323i   Posted Saturday, Jul 5th 6:24pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 6

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
Okay, you're a dickhead . Seriously, I refered to it as ground because it's the negative terminal of the speaker which is almost always ground (unless you're driving an old British car!) and it's just convenient terminology.

The way it seems to work on the e21 is the two positives go to the fader where it splits for front and rear, easy enough to track those wires down. But the two negatives disappear somewhere in the dash and I can't find where they join. I'll probably get better channel separation with separate negatives. If I can't find the negative wires I'll just have to run new speaker wires.

Dorzas323i   Posted Sunday, Jul 6th 2:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 16

Victoria, Australia
euro 1982 323i
see there you go, but at least i tryed, just as one thing to try: look on the back of the head unit, see if they join up behind there. or even see if there is one ground wire there, and then you know that they join up in the dash area, anyway just another thought. have fun, and good luck again. -Doran

ps: if all else fails call jb hifi, or auto barn, or someplace like that, they seem to be pretty good.

locally there is a place called darrell smailes car radio, they are absolutely the best to help out with that kinda stuff. i'll give you their number in case you wanna call, they are in albury, long distance call, but just in case you wanna call. 0260-215-433, good luck again.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.