- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - M20 timing
Tricord   Posted Thursday, Jul 10th 10:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 132

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
It looks like my problems are not related with the carb itself, after all.

I need to advance my timing, or rotate my distributor counter-clockwise. However, I have no clue how to do that. I haven't got much help from the little tidbit Haynes writes about the ignition timing setting, and it looks like my distributor is stuck tight on the block. I mean tight. When I rebuilt the 320/6 engine I left the distributor on the block simply because I couldn't get it off without using destructive force.

If someone would be so kind as to describe how I can advance timing a little. I know it has to be done with a strobe light to be good, but all I want to do is experiment a little with it. My idle should rise about 100-200rpm when advancing a little, and that's where I should lock it at.

Is it simply a matter of unscrewing the locknut and then knocking it loose?

RDAvena   Posted Thursday, Jul 10th 11:44pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 82

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
1981 323i, 1988 545is, 1997 528i
looking at my extra 6cyl distributor aside from loosening the hold down bolt there is no other way of twisting the distributor so you can dial in more advance so it will have to be loosened from the block. Prob all of the winters and stuff seized it to the block. An oil wrench on the main body might help with the leverage to break it free. Then from there you can set the timing and advance as much as you need to after the initial setting.

Tricord   Posted Friday, Jul 11th 11:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 133

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Thanks Ray. I'll try to break it loose this afternoon.

Matt   Posted Friday, Jul 11th 6:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 108

SF Bay Area
81 320i
Don't forget the penetrating oil.

Yety   Posted Friday, Jul 11th 8:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 34

Europe, Romania
320i/6
Just an idea : as I cannot afford penetrating oil, I use brake fluid to loosen nuts and screws - soak it and leave it for a couple of hours to penetrate, and then try again to rotate it... and after loosening the hold down bolt mentioned by Ray, I'd gently kick the lower side with a piece of wood... not with metal in any case !

RDAvena   Posted Friday, Jul 11th 9:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 83

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
1981 323i, 1988 545is, 1997 528i
Yety,

I think the base component in penetrating oil is used brake fluid. In times of need you have to use what is at hand.

Like that time I was a little low on radiator coolant and had to piss real bad...

M42powered   Posted Friday, Jul 11th 9:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 113

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
buy a cheap chain wrench. They come in super handy when it comes to brute force and turning a motor over during a rebuild. Most used ones are inexspencive (19 bucks or so) and can also be use for pulling stuck oil filters, turning driveshafts and as a self defense weapon

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.