Tech Forum : radiator types and fitting for 323i

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - radiator types and fitting for 323i
Dorzas323i   Posted Friday, Jul 11th 2:28pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 32

Victoria, Australia
euro 1982 323i
the 323i that i have (the one that's being restored) doesn't have a radiator right now. so i'm gonna need to get one for it. but the other 323i that i have sitting there (parts car) has one. now the parts car is the early car, and the other is the late model car. i know that the radiator supports on these two cars are different. i don't know if this is bacause of the model year or because one is a manuel, and one is an automatic.

i know that the automatic cars have different radiattors, but are the actual raditors supports different, cause if they are that would mean i'm gonna have to get a manuel radiator support for my car. please tell me that the late model cars all had the same radiator support, regardless of auto/manuel.

i'm pretty sure that the auto/man had the same supports, but just wanted to ask to be sure. thanks all for the help
-Doran

Tricord   Posted Friday, Jul 11th 3:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 135

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
All I can tell you is that all automatics have a different radiator from the manuals. The auto radiators have a fluid cooler incorporated in the right hand radiator tank, so fitting an auto radiator in a manual won't work (I think).

The radiators sit on two cusions inside little cylinder holders, and bolt on to the car at the top using a rubber cushion also. I can also tell you that the 320/6 and 323i radiators are identical. I have a radiator from 1980 and two from 1982, and they are identical.
I think it's safe to say that all M20 E21 radiators for manual cars without airconditioning are interchangeable. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

tony323   Posted Friday, Jul 11th 5:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 17

Pa USA
1996 318ti, 1982 323i, 1982 320is, 1988 Alfa Verde, 1983 533i
The BMW HTK cd shows one support for either auto or manual, so you are correct in that they noly offered one .

Dorzas323i   Posted Saturday, Jul 12th 12:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 33

Victoria, Australia
euro 1982 323i
so a manuel radiator (without the transfliud cooler) will fit in the auto cars, of the same year make? cause on the walloth u nesch website, under body parts, there is only radiators for early cars, and for late cars, it doesn't list anything different for auto and manuel cars. so i guess that i'm safe.
if anyone else knows for sure, it would be great to hear from ya, but thanks for the useful info tri and tony. and tony, i guess your saying that i'm safe?
thanks for the info, keep you posted on if it's okay.
-Doran

BruceH   Posted Saturday, Jul 12th 3:34pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
The manual rad will fit the auto car. They mount the same. The auto rad has two fittings at the bottom for the transmission fluid to flow into a separate cooling loop.

Bruce H

Dorzas323i   Posted Monday, Jul 14th 2:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 37

Victoria, Australia
euro 1982 323i
thanks bruce great help. and thanks all you other guys for the help, it's not without merrit.
-Doran

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.