- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Seats Aftermarket or otherwise
BB320i   Posted Tuesday, Sep 28th 10:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 5

Arizona
83 320i
Hey guys.

Okay, how about different seats for the e21?

Will seats from what I think is the e30 (the body style right after "ours") fit? They look like pretty nice seats.

Aftermarket seats seem to start around $250 and then add brackets, etc. I don't know if I want to pop six bones plus on seats; am I just not aware of how expensive they are?

Thanks in advance.

Bob.

velocewest   Posted Wednesday, Sep 29th 3:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 328

Oregon USA
e9, e12x2, no E21?
I like e30 seats better than original e21 Recaros, they have better bolsters and height adjustment. They're not a bolt-in, but it shouldn't be too much work to fabricate the mounts. I think I would cut the E21 rails out completely and start from the flat floor.

Tony

BB320i   Posted Wednesday, Sep 29th 5:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 6

Arizona
83 320i
Hadn't thought of that!

That might be a way to go. Thanks.

kidsinister   Posted Wednesday, Sep 29th 3:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 12

Lancashire UK
E30 Alpina C2 2.5
If you do this (succesfully!) let us know, I've considered doing this myself but since they're not a straight swap I bottled out.

Alec

BB320i   Posted Wednesday, Sep 29th 10:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 7

Arizona
83 320i
Whatever I wind up doing, I'll post all the details, costs, and so on.

Bob.

Jason_323i   Posted Thursday, Sep 30th 3:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 106

UK, Scotland
323i 2.7 tripple webber track car. Maserati Biturbo
Hi

Nic down this on his car check outhtpp://www bimmerboys.com and you can see how.

Jason

kidsinister   Posted Friday, Oct 1st 2:53pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 15

Lancashire UK
E30 Alpina C2 2.5
Link don't work, Jason.

Alec

Jason_323i   Posted Friday, Oct 1st 3:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 109

UK, Scotland
323i 2.7 tripple webber track car. Maserati Biturbo
sorry try this

http://www.bimmerboys.com/webpage/silverdust/mods/recaros.htm

Jason

JJG323   Posted Friday, Oct 1st 10:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 236

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
There is some fabrication involved to get the e30 seats to fit in the e21.

Personally I dont feel like its really worth it.

My 323i has the "I" recaros and I like them.
I am 5 11 200, and they are fine for me.
My uncles Lambo Contach seats are not very comfortable compared to these. Too small and skinny.

My second choice would be the MOMO Street Racer or Recaro SRD seats. Using the brakets from my 320i recaros. I am going to put the harness in my car. My cousin took me for a ride in his Porsche 911 with the Recaro SRD's.

I strapped myself in and saw GOD in the corners. This car is freaking scary fast, and the Recaro SRD held u right in there. I promised myself I will be getting a set soon. Or the MOMO STREET Racers. So I will forget the e30 seats.

BarryA   Posted Saturday, Oct 2nd 1:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 20

Sacramento CA
81 320
I swapped E30 sport seats into my 82 320 about 6 months ago (also have E21 Recaros in my '69 2002, so I'm familiar with both) - it's NOT a bolt in, but it's not a huge fabrication job, either.

I'm not a small person (6'1", 230 lbs) - the E30 seats fit me far better than the E21 Recaros, are considerably more sturdy, and have far better adjustability.

The E30 inner seat rails bolt directly onto the E21 mount pad, but the outer mount pad is too tall, so it has to be cut down and modified - it took me about 4 hours to do the first one, and less than an hour to do the other side. Far as I'm concerned, installing the E30 sport seats was the best single modification that's been done to the car.....

redmist   Posted Wednesday, Oct 6th 4:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 418

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
My decision was based on two things:
Light weight,
ability to keep my fat ass in place while testing the limits of adhesion.
I got a set of lightly used Momo FIA approved entry level sets for $300. These are fixed back seats. I used a MOMO slider bracket for the drivers and fabricated mounting brackets. I utilized the existing outside seat perch.
The passenger seat did not get a slider. I needed access to the rear area to carry my racing tires so I made a quick release bracket.
Basically there is a fixed bracket on the inside perch that the bracket attached to the seat slides into. Thumb screws secure the seat to the existing outside perch.
Setup passed tech inspection for a instructor/passenger last time I went to Lime Rock.

bmw_m_320i   Posted Thursday, Oct 7th 9:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 113

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
redmist wrote:
The passenger seat did not get a slider. I needed access to the rear area to carry my racing tires so I made a quick release bracket.
Basically there is a fixed bracket on the inside perch that the bracket attached to the seat slides into. Thumb screws secure the seat to the existing outside perch.
Setup passed tech inspection for a instructor/passenger last time I went to Lime Rock.

I got the idea of making the passenger seat pivot forward to access the rear. same idea as the seatback pivoting, but the whole seat moving instead. anyone see a problem with that?

redmist   Posted Thursday, Oct 7th 4:23pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 421

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Yeah I considered that. The top of the seat would hit the headliner in my case (with the MOMO seats) and the extra brackets required would add weight. It would also have a tendency to rattle as well and I HATE rattles.

g323   Posted Thursday, Jul 5th 5:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 180

California
323i 1982
what about 2002 seats in an e21?

davethedog   Posted Thursday, Jul 5th 9:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 174

Northants, England
E21 320
I want some seats that give the support of racing bucket seats but the look of standard seats, any ideas?

KenDanielson   Posted Friday, Jul 6th 2:31am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
I removed the stock mounting humps and fabed some mounts for these seats from Summit Racing-about $200 ea. I'm 6'3 and 245lb-I HATE the e21 Recaros. click the pic for larger version.

Now I have tons of leg room, tons of head room, and they are wide enough for my big butt. I've done 900mi days sitting in them and still like them. Pretty supportive in spirited driving. If you are thinner than me-most are- you would want a more narrow seat for support. Hit the Japanese tuner stores and sit in a few before you make up your mind on what seats you want.

ken

davethedog   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 12:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 175

Northants, England
E21 320
KenDanielson wrote:
I removed the stock mounting humps and fabed some mounts for these seats from Summit Racing-about $200 ea. I'm 6'3 and 245lb-I HATE the e21 Recaros. click the pic for larger version.

Now I have tons of leg room, tons of head room, and they are wide enough for my big butt. I've done 900mi days sitting in them and still like them. Pretty supportive in spirited driving. If you are thinner than me-most are- you would want a more narrow seat for support. Hit the Japanese tuner stores and sit in a few before you make up your mind on what seats you want.

ken

No I'm not thinner than you and them seats look ace. I'll have to see if I can get them in the UK.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.