- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Timing Question
aussie323i   Posted Tuesday, Nov 23rd 6:59am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 239

australia
1979 323i
Hi all

I swaped my distributor recently as my old one died (reluctor gave up the ghost!) and have found the new one pings around 2800 RPM under certain situations (not all the time).

I had this occur before when I ran an e28 520i distributor.....

The distributor I replaced was a stock e21 one (**** 302 006) the new distributor is part number 0237 302 011.

Can anyone give me the timing figures for this distributor- at the moment I'm running it a little retarded to stop the ping- but would like to have it spot on if possible.

Cheers

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Nov 23rd 8:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 142

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
swap the internals or springs...

jamie

jesse   Posted Thursday, Nov 25th 9:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 253

SF, USA
Dinan 1978 333i, honda insight, audi S4
hey aussie and others
what's magical about the 2800 rpm area?

the reason i ask is that i have a stumble which is pretty reliably at 3000 rpms, or slightly higher.
i disconnected the vacuum advance and it seems slightly smoother so now i'm thinking it may be the timing. i don't believe my m30 motor distributor has any mechanical advance on it, but when i opened it up i could move the rotor about 10 degrees counterclockwise. this seemed to be independent of the vacuum lines connecting to the distributor (which i put vacuum on and saw it rotate a star shaped disc 10 degrees one way or the other depending on which nipple i hooked up to)

i'm also curious what people set the timing to on their NA motors. i know this isn't the best board for m30 questions, but it's the board i frequent the most

jesse

aussie323i   Posted Saturday, Nov 27th 2:31am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 240

australia
1979 323i
Hi Jesse

Yeah..... around 3000rpm is th only place in the rev range I've ever found any problems with pinging- not real sure why this is. With your distributor- that 10 degree range is normal- one of your vacuum lines is for retard, one for advance- hence the dizzy pulling one way or the other when you hook each of them up.

My car has been running great with the new distributor - I timed it by ear- just kept slowly retarding it until I lost the ping. But still interested if anyone knows the timing for this dizzy- ie. xx number of degrees advanced at xxxxrpm?

cheers

g323   Posted Tuesday, Jun 9th 8:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 333

California
323i 1982
Im working on a list of m20 ignition distributor timing maps, take a look

http://sites.google.com/site/e21323i/bmw-m20-engine-ignition-distributor-timing-numbers

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.