General Forum : my e21 just saved my life

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - my e21 just saved my life
pjs323i   Posted Tuesday, Oct 24th 2:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
not 15 minutes ago my little e21 saved my life. i can't believe how sure footed they are at high speeds. i was in a slip lane to turn left (doing about 40/50 km/h) and a nice blue mazda 6 decided to run the red light. so i turned as hard as i could to avoid it, she fishtaled and ended up on the straight and narrow in the lane that i was supposed to be in! completely avoiding the brand new mazda which had stopped litterally 20cm in front of me. The guy in the mazda was very appoligetic and extremely shaken (i should have let him have it). the point is i've never been in a car that was so forgiving! anyone else had this experience??

Marquis_Rex   Posted Wednesday, Oct 25th 5:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 486

UK
BMW 323i 2.7-as featured in Total BMW Nov 2002,Porsche 911/993TT
Nice one!
When I was 17 way back in 1990 and my E21 was pretty much original, sometimes I found the rear end quite willing to let go.
The car sat high and rolled alot, but I learned to "read" it and know when the rear end was about to let go. However the steering has always been responsive (despite the high number of tunrs lock to lock) and the car always felt agile.
Since the suspension change it handles quite differently- at a minimal cost to the ride quality. The bigger anti roll bars means the car doesn't roll as much and the rear end is quite composed, if it does let go, its much easier to control and never lurches out the other way on opposite lock like it used to.
I don't feel I know the car as well as I did back then but I also don't drive as wrecklessly as I did back then either.
I guess the cars surefootedness depends on what you're comparing it to: Compared to the Alfa 75/Milano I once owned it feels much more direct, agile and surefooted with hardly any understeer and less roll.
This is suprising as the semi trailing arm rear end was often critisized by road testers and people often raved about the trans axle layout of the Alfa and it's rear gearbox/50/50 weight distribution.

I'm not really comparing- as it is totaly unfair, but in comparison to my old 928- the 928 feels much much more stable.
Once I was on the motorway doing 80 mph,changing lane- when I then suddenly noticed a car in my blind spot. Totally my fault. So I made a really rapid manouver- and the 928 changed direction nicely with just a scary chirp from the tyres- no tail wagging the dog antics. I was most impressed.

The 993 turbo as, you'd expect is in a totally different league, on the auto bahn at high speed it feel utterly composed and almost like a Go-Kart when you change direction. It doesnt even feel dangerous.

kpeters   Posted Wednesday, Oct 25th 9:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 814

San Jose, Costa Rica
1981 320/6 Kastanienrot-Metallic 5spd
True you get to know when the rear end is about to flip out!

chupchup   Posted Friday, Oct 27th 3:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 107

Singapore
320m20
Interesting, my 320/6's tail is not that "happy", and I like to push the car round sweeping corners on the Expressways on and off rams.

pjs323i   Posted Thursday, Nov 2nd 4:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
thats what i love about the 323i. ITS SO BUM HAPPY! maybe its because you dont have the LSD??? BTW does anyone know whether that was an option or what??

Marquis_Rex   Posted Thursday, Nov 2nd 8:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 489

UK
BMW 323i 2.7-as featured in Total BMW Nov 2002,Porsche 911/993TT
pjs323i wrote:
thats what i love about the 323i. ITS SO BUM HAPPY! maybe its because you dont have the LSD??? BTW does anyone know whether that was an option or what??

Yes it was an option,A LSD makes a big difference.

In Dry conditions the car is more neutral when pushing on around corners. In wet corners with my 2.7 I have enough torque to spin both wheels and really spin the car around agressively.
However lift-off oversteer is substantially reduced with the LSD

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.