General Forum : selling e46 M3

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - selling e46 M3
jesse   Posted Wednesday, Sep 26th 2:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 374

SF, USA
Dinan 1978 333i, honda insight, audi S4
if you or anyone you know are interested....

http://www.blarg.cc/~jtm/m3

they can contact me on my email

devel-@8oz.com and i will send them the full ad.
$22k 83.5k miles 2002 black on black no luxury options.

thanks in advance,

Jesse

M42powered   Posted Wednesday, Sep 26th 2:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 733

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
and that means you're keeping the dinan car?

melloh   Posted Wednesday, Sep 26th 4:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 603

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!

WOO HOO!

Speaking of the dinan, I will be in SF for the weekend. (nudge-nudge)

jesse   Posted Wednesday, Sep 26th 7:56pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 375

SF, USA
You guys are astute!

Well I'll tell you what's going on here, I got new tires for the Dinan and for some reason it feels amazing right now. I'm using it as a way to get to and from caltrain and not much else.

The smog inspection is overdue. My registration is overdue. If I'm pulled over they could impound the car (if they were in the mood).

I don't know if I have any way to get the car smogged. I did find out *yesterday* though that I need a "test only" smog. I guess that means I have some chance of just passing the emissions part as if it's a stock vehicle??

Anyone know?

The reason to sell the Dinan is mostly this smog issue, compounded with the few free hours I have to actually enjoy the car. Meanwhile things are getting loose and need tightening, things need lubrication, paint needs attention, etc... and I don't relish the idea of being the guy that let the car get into bad condition.

(background, my dad let a SWEET Iso (italian sports car) rust in his back yard. It's also red, 2 door, etc.. and I often look at the Dinan as "my Iso". )

Jesse

M42powered   Posted Wednesday, Sep 26th 10:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 734

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
Here's the deal with me and smog. They ask me "1.8 liter?" I say "Yes". They check the sticker under the hood to look for the proper smog stuff. Then they put me on the rollers and sniff the BMW's anus. Not sure how different it is in Cali.

Can't you just go to emissions and act dumb. Tell them this is the car and let them sniff it. Shoot, you should be able to tune the spark for good idle and off idle emissions right?

jesse   Posted Wednesday, Sep 26th 11:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 376

SF, USA
Yeah. I think I will try to ask around a bit with local peeps on a place that might not ask too many questions. I was planning on tweaking the tuning to get the emissions down. The spark is your standard vacuum advance coil so I don't really know what to do there...

However I can lean out the mixture for the day and not drive it on boost until reloading the proper map. That should do some good right?

Jesse

M42powered   Posted Thursday, Sep 27th 12:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 735

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
jesse wrote:
However I can lean out the mixture for the day and not drive it on boost until reloading the proper map. That should do some good right?

Yeah but if you go too lean you'll misfire which is almost just as bad. I'd really shoot for stoich and let it be. I know the car likes to run rich up high... but just baby it to emissions and baby it back.

I did that on the Typhoon and it worked fine. There was a connector to pull to set the timing on the truck... it was a weird distributor with an electronic retard type thing. It ran at dead nuts TDC the whole way through emissions and as soon as I finished I pulled forward... plugged in the harness and it started puking rich raw fumes out the back. The guy that gave me my passing slip said "smells rich... but you passed." SUCKERS!!

Also... denatured alcohol in the tank burns REAL clean. I put 3 gallons of gas in the tank of the Typhoon and 1 gallon of denatured alcohol. (This was the year after). It passed without messing with the timing. Went to the nearest gas station to fill up and dilute the alcohol. It doesn't hurt anything if you fill up the tanke. Most fuel injection cleaners are mostly denatured alcohol. You can get it at Home Depot.

The Typhoon was the hardest thing I ever had to smog and they never put it on the rollers (AWD). I learned all the tricks with that one. It was tough because it was smogged as a regular 4.3L GMC Jimmy. When it was really turbo charged.

Just some ideas. Do they always give you shit when you pop the hood at emissions?

melloh   Posted Thursday, Sep 27th 6:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 604

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
What has Dinan said about smogging it? Dinan is based here you hopefully they can give advice. Maybe they can tell you who's palm to grease at the center. I mean... i'm going to assume at least a few Dinan employees have an older heavily modded bimmer at home that they get to pass smog somewhow.

jesse   Posted Thursday, Sep 27th 9:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 377

SF, USA
M42powered wrote:

Just some ideas. Do they always give you shit when you pop the hood at emissions?

I've never been to the emissions check with this car. Last car I got smogged they just plugged into the OBD connector and rolled it on a pseudo-dyno machine for a few minutes.

Jesse

M42powered   Posted Thursday, Sep 27th 5:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 736

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
jesse wrote:
M42powered wrote:

I've never been to the emissions check with this car. Last car I got smogged they just plugged into the OBD connector and rolled it on a pseudo-dyno machine for a few minutes.

Jesse

Well what's the big hub bub all about? I say go to emissions. Let them run the vin, pop the hood, sniff her rear end and see what happens. Leean out the mixture to help. I'd bet a few dollars that you'll pass and be surprised how little people know about our cars.

jesse   Posted Thursday, Sep 27th 9:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 378

SF, USA

jesse   Posted Friday, Sep 28th 12:48am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 379

SF, USA
Nic if you're still reading this thread I could really use that hartge bar measurement. As soon as I get the height I can order or keep looking.

thanks,
jesse

M42powered   Posted Friday, Sep 28th 12:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 737

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
wait what?

Email me.

jesse   Posted Friday, Sep 28th 3:50am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 380

SF, USA
M3 sold today!
dang that was fast....

*sniff*

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.