-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : I need an M20 can any of you jelp or refer?

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - I need an M20 can any of you jelp or refer?
wharthog   Posted Saturday, May 17th 11:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 124

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
I hit about 375,000K on my beloved '81 323i and it's started making some bottom end noise that's getting worse. It's going to go boom soon. I knew this day would come and I wanted to put a stroker in... but money is tight right now. Any of you have or know someone that has a stroker, or stock 2.3 or even a 325i motor with the Motronic laying around? I need help. Or can anyone recommend someone to rebuild in Northern California?

g323   Posted Sunday, May 18th 4:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 271

California
323i 1982
Call the berkely bmw shop,,,i dont rememeber the name off the bat, if you dont know who they are, post and ill get you the number. Tell them you need the number of a scrapyard somewhere near sacramento which has motors and such for bmws and vws. i think the place is in rancho cordova, they usualy have alright prices.

good luck!

MayanArch   Posted Sunday, May 18th 3:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1558

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
Dont throw away your 323i motor. YOu will regret it. Get it refurbished once it is out.

wharthog   Posted Monday, May 19th 6:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 125

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
Good advice Mayan. I was planning on crating it up if I don't go ahead and rebuild. I'm kind of torn on keeping it original vs. updating to motronic.

wharthog   Posted Monday, May 19th 6:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 126

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
g,

If you can find it let me know... I know of German Auto Salvage in Berkeley.. That's a good idea.

realcrouton   Posted Monday, May 19th 7:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 138

Washington, USA
1977 320i, 1981 323i, 1991 325ic, 2000 328i
Buy an e30 parts car off of Criagslist that has a good engine, take the engine and what ever else you want off of it and sell whatever parts you don't want on Craigslist and/or ebay. You'll get your engine and quite possibly make money while you are at it. The only catch is that you have to have a place where you can tear apart a car and a wife that is understanding. fortunately I have both, within limits . I have done this twice now; I got the parts I needed and with the extras that I sold I'm in the black over $1000. That makes my wife happy!

MayanArch   Posted Monday, May 19th 6:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1559

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
realcrouton wrote:
Buy an e30 parts car off of Criagslist that has a good engine, take the engine and what ever else you want off of it and sell whatever parts you don't want on Craigslist and/or ebay. You'll get your engine and quite possibly make money while you are at it. The only catch is that you have to have a place where you can tear apart a car and a wife that is understanding. fortunately I have both, within limits . I have done this twice now; I got the parts I needed and with the extras that I sold I'm in the black over $1000. That makes my wife happy!

Thats actually really, REALLY, really good advice. The converstion to Motronic can kill you with all the little gadgets, gaskets, and mounts that make up the installation. The motor will be cheap in comparisson if you buy those one by one.

My suggestion........dont go Motronic. Its a waste of time. If you are willing to go through the headache of that kind of swap you are better going with a "stand-alone" system like MegaSquirt.

I had a real SHIT of a time trying to get Motronic to run my 2.7 stroker.

wharthog   Posted Tuesday, May 20th 7:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 127

SF Bay,California, USA
1982 323i, , R1150RT
A friend of mine that owns Bavarian Professionals (an independent BMW shop) in Berkeley has a used 2.3 M20 on his shelf! He also said that he's going to check the rod bearings because he's heard of them going bad on the small sixes. We can fix those from below! I hope that's the case.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.