General Forum : water on floor

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - water on floor
ukie21   Posted Tuesday, Mar 24th 7:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 8

Uki NSW Australia
BMW E21 320/4
Can anyone tell me if they have had experience with water getting in on the floor in the rear. My car does have a sunroof and i've checked the drains, any other ideas. Only happens in heavy rain.
Thanks.

TJ   Posted Wednesday, Mar 25th 6:24am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 73

NY, USA
82 528e2i 84 320i/4 80 320i
I had water get on my rear seat because of a loose seal at the top of the rear side window. Maybe that would allow water on the floor also?

ukie21   Posted Thursday, Mar 26th 12:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

Uki NSW Australia
BMW E21 320/4
Thanks TJ, yeh I checked the seals around the rear windows, the seals were OK but the window catch needed to be adjusted to pull the window in abit tighter, hopefully problem fixed.

BarryA   Posted Tuesday, Apr 28th 10:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 223

Sacramento CA
81 320
Pull up your trunk seal and look for rust in the corners of the trunk opening directly below the rear window. I've had leakage into the trunk (and subsequently into the rear floor area - any water in the trunk WILL run forward and pool in front of the back seat anytime the car is in a nose-down attidute) for a couple of years that I finally traced to small rust perforations in that area.

What makes the actual leaks tougher to find is that two or three layers of sheet metal join in that area, so once water gets in, it can run along between layers and come out 20 cm or more away. I finally stopped up the leaks by scrubbing the channel clean, then brushing multiple coats of POR 15 into the channel (adding a fresh coat as the previous one got tacky), letting it work its way into the holes, and slowly filling up the voids.

The last few rainstorms we had the trunk stayed dry - now I've just got to find & fix the leaks around the windshield that cause water to collect in the glove box!

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.