-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : rebuilding the beast (320/6)

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - rebuilding the beast (320/6)
thug   Posted Monday, Jun 23rd 8:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Pagosa Springs, CO.
bmw 320/6
I am in the proccess of rebuilding the motor compartment right now. the car has fairly low kilometeres (190,000, or 120,000 miles). I amgoing throught and cleaning the block right now. I can get the mechanical back together, however the vaccum lines are a big problem. always have been. the unfortunate thing is that the fellow that had it before me kind of ripped the motor box apart. I was curious if there is some way to fin out the schematic for the vaccum lines... I have the solex 4a1 carb on there. I am really close to getting it up and running again, it is a sweet car. any help with the vaccum stuff would be super appreciated. thanks

Tricord   Posted Monday, Jun 23rd 12:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 77

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
I have rebuilt my 320/6 last summer so I know how the vacuum lines go. Check out my projects page to read about my rebuild and view some pictures. You may also want to read the article on the about E21 page with the Solex 4A1 notes for the 320/6.

The 4A1 carb has a lot of vaccuum lines, but most of them are for self-regulation, such as to remove a surging idle and smooth operation. These lines go back on the carburettor itself, so if you didn't dismantle yours they should be fine if they were left on the carb.

If you feel you can handle a little german, it would be a good idea to download the Solex 4A1 carburettor manual from the files page, here. Everything is described in detail and I have added an electrical diagram to help with the electrical connections on the carburettor.

There are two vaccuum lines going to the distributor, one for advancing the ignition (a black hose) and another for retarding the ignition (a white hose). The white hose plugs in under the fuel supply on the back of the carb, and for the black hose I would have to check because I can't exactly remember

Then there is a thrid vaccuum hose going from the front middle to the air filter, on the same connection as the valve cover ventilation hose.

Finally, there is a vaccuum opening on the intake manifold itself. I have long wondered what to do with that, because I could find no vaccuum hose going there. If left open, the car would idle very badly, so I closed it with a little hose and a plug. Idles quite good now!

If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm going to rebuild another 4A1 carb today, so I will maybe take a few pictures and put them up here for your reference.

Tricord   Posted Wednesday, Jun 25th 7:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 89

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
I replaced my carburettor today, here are some pictures that will help you find out where the hoses go.

The two arrows indicate the pipe where the vaccuum hoses from the distributor go:

On the other side of the carb, there are three more vaccuum pipes. The two outer ones are for self-regulation of the carb (I didn't remove them), and the middle one goes to the air filter housing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

RJ   Posted Thursday, Jun 26th 8:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 3

The Netherlands
335i E21, 325i E30
Now that's a familiar carb...

Tricord   Posted Thursday, Jun 26th 10:54pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 95

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
It should, it's you I got it from

thug   Posted Friday, Jun 27th 6:44am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 5

Pagosa Springs, CO.
bmw 320/6
hey tri, thanks a million for those pics... they help a lot. i was actually working on the car tonight. getting some more stuff back on the block. I am waiting to get my new stretch bolts and head gasket set, and the beast will be up and running. look foreward to that. I am going to do some body work after this... I have some rust spots coming through the new paint. soon. it is nice to work on it though. and i really appreciate all of your help. and lucky for me, I lived in german speaking europe for over a year... so, the manual for the solex is a huge help. thanks.
thug

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.